Monday, February 12, 2007

Find Me a Flat?

If you've stumbled upon this blog, the chances are you're either considering working with the estate agents at http://www.findmeaflat.com, or have already made the mistake of doing so.

I did not long ago, and was cheated out of a £1200 deposit. This site serves a dual purpose: 1) to chronicle my attempt to get my money back and 2) to warn off anyone else naive enough to trust in these fraudsters.

A quick story:

I arrived in London knowing little of the city and not planning to stay long. I found my first flat through an online posting. The ad was put up by http://www.findmeaflat.com, and on a crisp winter night I was ushered into the apartment by Mark, a short young man with slick hair and an even slicker car. The flat wasn't the one pictured in the ad _ in fact the picture advertised is still on their site, but I took it anyways, paying £900 or so a month for a bright, cheery, newly refurbished studio in Whitechapel. The deposit was around £1200. Mark was solicitous, if a little evasive, but I trusted him. Six months later, it came time to move. My landlord wrote me a letter saying the flat was returned in impeccable shape, and I wrote to Mark to collect my deposit.

That's when Mark disappeared.

Two months later, I finally cornered him in his Vestry street office, rapping on his window as he came back from a viewing. Flustered, he let me in, saying he had no idea why I had not received his cheque, making a million apologies for not being in touch. He finally handed me an envelope _ with a cheque for £400. I said it was unacceptable. Mark said there must have been some mistake. He promised to clarify it.

I never heard from him again.

Several weeks and dozens of phone calls later I received an e-mail from John, Mark's colleague. He said I would not see the rest of my deposit again. He threatened to sue if I ever tried to retrieve the rest of the money.

I was unimpressed, and decided to sue him in turn. Over the next few months, we'll see how just how easy it is to bring London's property fraudsters to justice.

12 comments:

Love Landlords said...

You can locate the details of the company director by using the webcheck service of the companies house website and download company reports for a couple of quid. Then google that information and see what that unearths.

Your primary relationship is probably actually with the landlord who has the direct contract with the agency - all the contracts that you sign with the agency are really signed with the agent who is representing the landlord. Consider contacting Shelter, a housing advice charity, for free advice. Consider locating the landlord.

Love Landlords said...

some threads on this topic that might give you some pointers.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5357

http://forums.gumtree.com/about57140.html

brokentoy said...

I am in the same situation as you, with the same agent. Is there anyway I can contact you other than here?

a landlady said...

I have also had this experience with this agency, they have held onto my tenants deposit despite a different contract agreement and also 2 months rent. I know another landlord with the same problem. Please contact me regarding this agency.

another Landlady said...

We have also been scammed by Findmeaflat.com. They have held onto three months rent and the tenants deposit. They have used exactly the same tacktics with us. Please get in touch with me about this agent.

Anonymous said...

Same here. They have our deposit and they also have caused our landlord, who was a decent guy, all manner of problems. I'd like to get in touch with anyone having the same problem to see how we might be able to help each other.

taking action said...

I'm also in the same situation. However, i have sent out a claim to the registered office which they failed to respond to, then i coninued this with a warrant which i am waiting on now. I've also phoned the trading standars authority who are chasing the company and they also recommended i phoned the police which i have done today. I recommend you all do the same as the more reports they have the more likely they are to do something! They Only took 380 from me but it's the pricipal behind it that really gets my angry. I don't care if i don't get it back, i just want them to face up to their crimes. feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss what can be done. the following numbers will be usefull to you.

shoreditch polioce station: 020 7739 1212

Trading Standards Authority: 020 8356 4929

My Number: 07725340943

brokentoy said...

Although it's not good to see others that have been taken for a ride, I am glad that you have all spoken up about this issue.

I have filed a county court claim recently, sent to the shop premises, but I have reason to believe that the premises have been vacated.

I have also sent a detailed letter to Hackney Trading Standards and will speak to the police ASAP.

If you would like to discuss more about these people, or just have a general whinge about their behaviour, please private message me at the Landlordzone Forums. I go by brokentoy there aswell.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/

Although getting the money back would be nice, I am more interested in seeing findmeaflat.com pay for their dishonesty!!

Unknown said...

Similar situation here. We have filed a claim for the return of our deposit (and believe the landlady was not paid for the final few months of our tenancy either).

Despite a letter saying that there were "no delapidations", we received a cheque for only £700 of our £2700, with a statement indicating a huge number of spurious charges for "inspection fees", and a charge of over £1000 in "interest for late payment of rent".

Worthy of note is that you can search findmeaflat on ukdata.com, and see that there have recently been several changes of company directors, and at least one CCJ.

We have filed our claim with the courts service, and findmeaflat have responded that they will defend themselves against our claim.

We also attempted to cash the £700 which was returned to us. Surprise surprise -- a rubber cheque.

P*ssed_off_tenant said...

Same story here. Months of trying to get the deposit back. John White has apparently now left the company so no idea who is supposed to be dealing with it now (not that I think "John" ever had any intention of sending our cheque!). Have reported this to the police and Hackney Trading Standards. Haven't yet filed a claim at court but would be interested to know how findmeaflat.com defend themselves and whether anyone gets their money back this way.

aki said...

same here.
I and my friend paid nearly 3000 pounds to this company. However, they just gone and never return our money. We tried to do small claim court but it was not possible as there was no one at office in Islignton.
I and my friend have no idea what to do. If there is anyone to help us, please reply.

Anonymous said...

Can the owner of this blog please contact me ASAP?!